Biz Buzz for Nov. 13, 2017
• Lake Superior College hired alumnus Matt Farchmin as a full-time unlimited welding instructor for the Business and Industry Division. Farchmin previously worked at Flatwater Fleet Truck Center in Saginaw and Cragin Machine Shop in Superior. He is American Welding Society certified as a welding inspector and welding educator, as a certified instructor through the manufacturing training and development institute and as a certified production technician through the Manufacturing Skill Standards Council. He graduated from LSC in 2009 with an AAS in welding and has worked in Lake Superior's welding department since 2014. He is currently pursuing a bachelor's degree in career and technical education and training from the University of Wisconsin-Stout.
• Dr. Catherine Benziger, a cardiologist, has joined the Essentia Health St. Mary's Heart and Vascular Center in Duluth. Benziger earned a medical degree from the University of Minnesota Medical School in Minneapolis. She completed a residency in internal medicine and a fellowship in cardiology at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. She is certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in internal medicine.
• Essentia Health-Duluth Clinic welcomes Dr. Anne Normand, an orthopedic oncology surgeon. Normand specializes in the assessment and treatment of benign and malignant tumors of bone and soft tissues. Normand earned a medical degree from Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C. She completed a residency in orthopedic surgery at Boston Medical Center in Boston and a fellowship in musculoskeletal oncology at the University of Texas in Houston. She recently completed an additional fellowship in orthopedic spine surgery at Twin Cities Spine in Minneapolis. Norman worked for Essentia health from 2006-14 and looks forward to returning to her practice now that she has completed additional fellowship training. She is certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery in orthopedic surgery.
• Nurse practitioner Claire Kap joined the urology department at the Essentia Health-Duluth Clinic. Kap earned a master's degree in nursing from Marian University in Fond du Lac, Wis. She is certified by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners as an adult/gerontology nurse practitioner.
• Essentia Health-Duluth Clinic welcomes nurse practitioner Terri Heinbaugh in their Obstetrics and Gynecology Department. Heinbaugh earned a master's degree in nursing from Drexel University in Philadelphia. She is certified as a women's health nurse practitioner by the National Certification Corp.
• Hamlin Music Academy welcomes trumpet instructor Stacy Carolan. Carolan has been a professional musician for more than 25 years. He received a bachelor's degree in trumpet performance from the University of Minnesota Duluth and his master's degree in trumpet performance and literature from the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, N.Y. He enjoys performing a variety of music and teaching students of all ages and skill levels.
• RSM US LLP announced the promotion of 12 employees in its Duluth office: Chad Brelie, assurance senior associate, audit services; James Denney, assurance manager, audit services; Chloe Koppenberg, Connor Lucas, Samantha Silcox, Danielle Steele, assurance senior associates, audit services; Bart Rodberg, assurance senior director, audit services; Ben Jacobson, lead tax manager, tax services; Aaron Pillsbury, lead tax-CIM supervisor, tax services; Ashley Sylte, lead tax senior associate, tax services; Kara Proctor, wealth management manager, family wealth; Renee Carlson, administrative assistant senior, office services.
• Duluth's Northwood Children's Services (NCS) received the Provider of the Year award on Nov. 4 during the annual meeting of the state's National Alliance on Mental Illness affiliate (NAMI Minnesota). The award is given to recognize an organization that provides mental health services that demonstrate excellence, respect and best practice.
• Century 21 Gilderman & Associates announced that Michelle Ryan is the Top Sale Agent for October.
• Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College was honored with a Bronze Medallion award for excellence in public relations, marketing, and communication in the 2017 National Council for Marketing and Public Relations District 5 Medallion Awards competition. The Bronze Medallion of Excellence award in the College Promotional Brand Video category recognized the college's video about the First Responder and Emergency Medical Technician courses offered at the college. Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College Public Information Director Tom Urbanski worked with Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College graduate Chris Brown of Cloquet to create, plan, film, and edit the award-winning video into its final form.
• The Center for Continuing Education at the University of Wisconsin-Superior announces Kami Diver of Fond du Lac Reservation Human Resources, Megan Mattei of Louisiana-Pacific Corporation, Don Wiesen of Fond du Lac Reservation Human Services and Derek Uttley have graduated from UWS' Human Resources Management Certificate Program.
• Grand opening open house for the Lincoln Park Farmers Market's new winter market, 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Harrison Community Center, 3002 W. Third St., Duluth. Features local vendors selling produce, bread, baked goods, canned goods and meat as well as family-friendly activities for all ages. The winter market will be held from 4-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of the month during the winter.