Biz Buzz for Dec. 19, 2016
HIRES AND PROMOTIONS
• Wipfli, a business consulting and accounting firm with a Duluth office, announced Ryan McCausland and Oliver Kelsey received promotions. McCausland was promoted from manager to senior manager, and Kelsey moved up from staff accountant to senior accountant.
• Mechanical and electrical engineering firm Gausman and Moore's Duluth office hired Jude Homola as lead mechanical engineer, Bryn Johnston as a mechanical engineer and Bruce Anderson as a drafter and designer. Homola, originally from Yacolt, Wash., earned his mechanical engineering degree from Washington State University in Seattle. He is a professional engineer and has10 years of experience in the commercial construction industry. Anderson is a graduate of Anoka (Minn.) Technical College and has eight years of experience in drafting and designing. Johnston obtained his degree in mechanical engineering from University of Minnesota Duluth. He has eight years of experience in plumbing, project management and engineering in the construction industry.
• Duluth Family Medicine Residency Program hired Dr. James Conniff as a board-certified family physician. Conniff earned his history degree from Yale University in New Haven, Conn., and his medical degree from Columbia University in New York. He completed his residency in family medicine and community health — as well as a fellowship in research and a master's degree in public health — at University of Wisconsin-Madison. Previously, Conniff practiced at Northeast Family Medical Center in Madison, Wis.
• LHB's Duluth office hired Lacy Shelby as a landscape designer and Lexi Weihe as a scanning technician. Shelby holds a master's degree in landscape architecture from Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. Weihe is a student at University of Minnesota Duluth pursuing, a degree in urban and regional studies as well as geographic information studies.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
• The Association of Minnesota Counties awarded the five northern Minnesota counties involved with Arrowhead Health Alliance Joint Powers' Telehealth Initiative. Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake and St. Louis counties were given County Achievement Awards having partnered with the Minnesota Department of Human Services, Minnesota Department of Information Technology and the Fond du Lac, Bois Forte and Grand Portage Bands of Lake Superior Chippewa to develop the Telehealth Initiative to provide care and access to mental and physical health services through telepresence.
• The Duluth Airshow and founder Ryan Kern won the Pinnacle Award during the annual International Council of Air Shows Convention in Las Vegas. Kern and the Duluth Airshow were recognized for their innovation in the air show industry for the third consecutive year.
• PolyMet Mining was honored with the Environmental Excellence Award given by the American Exploration and Mining Association. PolyMet was recognized for embodying the mining industry's commitment to sustainable mining practices and environmental stewardship in its development of the NorthMet Project near Hoyt Lakes.
• St. Luke's Laurentian Medical Clinic earned Laboratory Accreditation by COLA, a national healthcare accreditation organization. The clinic qualified for the accreditation by applying rigid quality standards to its day-to-day operations, demonstrating continued accuracy in the performance of proficiency testing and by passing an on-site laboratory survey.
• Fortune Magazine named Edward Jones, a financial services firm which operates a Duluth office, the second Best Workplace for Parents in a list compiled for 2016. The list was based on anonymous associate feedback and also accounted for the benefits that help parents participate in their organizations. Edward Jones was chosen for having implemented a new policy this year that offers a 16-week paid parental leave for the primary child caregivers and a two-week paid leave for the secondary caregivers.
• Northspan Group and Area Partnership for Economic Expansion received the first place Economic Development Award in the small division marketing program category from the Mid-America Economic Development Council during a Chicago conference earlier this month. The organizations were honored for their workforce attraction strategies through NorthForce, an innovative and regional talent initiative designed to connect prospective employees with regional businesses.
• Jerry Hembd of Superior retired from Northwest Wisconsin Workforce Investment Board after 12 years of service. Hembd last served as vice chair of the Strategic Directions and Development Committee. During his time on the board, he also served on the Executive Committee.
CERTIFICATIONS AND ACCREDITATIONS
• Wipfli announced staff accountant Dave Mathewson earned his Certified Public Accountants designation after passing a series of four tests through the Minnesota Society of Certified Public Accountants.
• Leaders In Motion owner and professional leadership coach Patricia Sauer of Duluth earned Career Coach Certification from Five O'Clock Club in New York. The 10-week certification process trained Sauer in career coaching.
• Four area professional earned their Certificate in Frontline Leadership from University of Minnesota Duluth's Continuing Education Department. The professionals include Clint Abernethy from Duluth Cleaning Contractors, Jay Knute from UMD's Information Technology Systems and Services, Kevin Morrison from AAR Duluth, and Jody O'Connor from UMD's OneStop Student Services.
• Art in Bayfront Park art festival was sold by founder DeBora Bernick to Matt Mithun, owner of Somerset (Wis.) Amphitheatre and Stone Arch Bridge Festival in Minneapolis.
• St. Luke's opened Miller Creek Medical Clinic today at 4190 Loberg Avenue in Hermantown. The clinic has three family practice physicians and offers services such as urgent care, expanded ophthalmology and optometry, orthopedics, sports medicine, physical therapy and outreach specialties such as obstetrics and gynecology. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. The phone number is (218) 249-4600 and website is slhduluth.com/Find-a-Location/Miller-Creek-Medical-Clinic.aspx.